Monday, December 10, 2007

Gastric Bypass Surgery Versus Insulin for Diabetes Treatment

Diabetes is on the rise in the U.S. For example, cases of diabetes continue to increase among children. However, reports show that for some patients with type 2 diabetes, gastric bypass surgery has apparently cured the patients of the disease.

So some experts feel that gastric bypass surgery can be used for more than just weight loss. In fact, the American Society for Bariatric Surgery (ASBS) changed its name to the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS) to recognize non-weight-loss applications of gastric bypass surgery.

At least one organization, the NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center, has started treating type 2 diabetes using a modified version of the gastric bypass surgery used for weight loss. In the modified version of the surgery, nothing is done to shrink the stomach; only the small intestine is rerouted.

Using gastric bypass surgery to treat diabetes, no doubt, will receive more attention. And if it turns out that, indeed, the surgery can be a good diabetes treatment, bariatric surgery will present another option.

The use of this treatment may become an important option. Research shows that insulin treatment for type 1 and type 2 diabetes causes some patients to gain weight. And gaining weight can be a negative factor in cardiovascular disease.

So depending on how viable the utilization of gastric bypass surgery is for treating diabetes, compared to insulin use, it may be reasonable in some cases to consider gastric bypass surgery for the treatment.

But again, this is something that has to be looked at carefully. And of course, bariatric or weight loss centers should stay abreast of activities associated with the use of gastric bypass surgery for the treatment of diabetes. It might turn out that offering this treatment could give a weight loss or bariatric center a competitive advantage.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My mother is a diabetic and an overweight as well. In my line of work, I do research on the Internet, I happen to have seen one site that gives a free copy of a report done by Julianne Kennedy. I thought it was another spam but then when I pointed my browser at http://www.weight-loss-surgery-secrets.com/controversial/free_wls_report.htm, realized that I only have to enter my e-mail address and voila!! I got myself a free copy. You should get one too. I was not even forced to click on ads. http://www.weight-loss-surgery-secrets.com/controversial/free_wls_report.htm

January 15, 2008 at 3:52 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

ya know, I had gastric bypass surgery three years ago in order to help my diabetes and it was the best thing I ever did. I have been able to loose my goal weight and maintain my diabetes in a way I was never able to before. I know its not for everyone but for me it gave me motivation, I have never felt better and it gives me motivation to stay this way. I had an excellent surgeon who also did Al Rokers surgery. You should take a look at Dr Marina Kurian's website , www.noobesity.com. It has some great info on there that I think you might enjoy.

April 2, 2008 at 10:27 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi, I am trying (in vane, mostly) to find out the basic statistics on gastric bypass surgery ... to find out an estimate of just how many procedures are performed in the U.S. each year.

Can you help??
Thank you!!
Wil Clower
will@willclower.com

December 26, 2008 at 7:42 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Subscribe to Overfat Strategy Blog by Email